Monday, August 3, 2015

You Tube

I had to set up a few online projects in another course that had me create various videos and upload them to You Tube.  This was really my first experience using You Tube beyond just watching random videos myself or how to videos.  Even after that class I played around with some of the tools I learned, including videoscribe, I decided to create a video with my daughter based on a book that she wrote when we first got married (well poem and illustrations).   Fast forward to my current class that has exposed us to so many new web 2.0 tools and the use of blogging.  I had searched for a a how to video for fixing something at the house when I ran into Mr. Beats Social Studies You Tube channel.  I was curious about what he was about and looked a little more into his background.  He is a seven grade teacher and musician that decided to make interesting videos for people to use.  It looks like based on the comments that students and random people like who loves history are checking out his videos.  While looking at his his videos I decided to look at other subjects.  I found Professor Rob Bob, who has been teaching high school math for over 19 years.  This guy doesn't only have a few views, some of his videos reach into the 50K.  Your thinking what a tutorial on math is getting that many views.  Think about it, when you are home or somewhere else, other then school, it is sometimes to recall what you learned or if you are like me, read my chicken scratch that I call notes.  These You Tube videos create tutorials that you can reach out for a refresher or to expand on the subjects you love.  Looking at the Emerging Ed Tech site, I found an article on the same subject that list six excellent You Tube channels that were created by inspired teachers in the school system, check them out

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for inspiring us. You are right. We all have knowledge to share on YouTube.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was amazed to have 60 something views for the video that I added. I am sure that they were all friends and family but either way that's cool. If you share it similar to what we did with our knowledge sharing assignment I am sure it would attract even larger viewings.

    ReplyDelete