Friday, July 31, 2015

Quora vereus Reddit

From http://heroicsearch.com
I was searching through the web 2.0 tool Quora to see what subjects people are talking about and who actually uses it.  "Quora is a question-and-answer website where questions are asked, answered, edited and organized by its community of users." I chose to follow the topics of graduate studies, technology and education.  Even before I finished my profile the first email had already been blasted out with the top topics.  Since I chose to pick some adult type of subjects I was surprised to see the first post was on "German kids feel when they learn about what Hitler/Germany did in WWII

As I read through the posts I found many where older and had parents or grandparents that were alive during WWII.  I liked reading their stories and what things they experience in school but then it came down to Katharina Kolerova, a tenth grader in a German high school.  Not only could she give an up to date perspective of what it taught in school about WWII but also could give us her perspective of what she felt and how she felt the adults around her expected her to feel.  I will admit that I was blown away by the level of response she posted and received.  For the most part is was positive and encouraging for her.

I then wondered what is the difference between Quora and Reddit and begin to search the sites. Many people had their opinion on which one was better over the other but overall many people felt Reddit was more for entertainment with not as heavy on the moderation and Quora was more for information seeking or education with a stricter hand on moderation.  I have played around with both this week and tend to agree on these comments.  Even tough entertaining at times, Reddit had more comments that I had to skip or overlook due to the level of interaction being more immature versus Quora.  What are your thoughts? 





No comments:

Post a Comment