Wednesday, July 8, 2015

One of my last graduates course is web 2.0 and I have taken a few classes that focus on the online course development.  I am taking my entire graduates degree online so obviously technology is important for my course work but is there a downside to technology for learners?  We ran a little experiment with my daughter a year or two ago.  Ok, not a true experiment but she decided to give up technology for lint.  She could use it to read and do school work but nothing more and no TV. The level of her ability to focus on work, her creativity and overall mood was really better.  I can't say this was the technology part as far as iPad, computer, etc but the television was probably the largest part of that influence in her creativity and focus. I then started to wonder what the different technology does to the younger learners.           

I ran across an article The Four Negative Sides of Technology by Pamela DeLoatch.  She gives us three negative issues with technology. Negative #1: Technology Changes the Way Children Think.  According to Psychology Today, technology can alter the actual wiring of the brain.  Some of the examples given is that the use of video games can increase the ability to focus n more then one stimuli but can also lead to distraction and decreased memory.  Negative #2: Technology Changes the Way Children Feel.  The studied reviewed found that children that was exposed to technology more had issues identifying emotions and nonverbal cues and that this could be due to less physical contact. This causes the difficulty in developing social skills and emotional reactions. Negative #3: Technology Can Put Privacy and Safety at Risk. The increase of online technology can put the learners at risk.  82% of online sex crimes committed, sex offenders said they got the information from social networks or the learners preferences.  There are also an increase of bullying online and sexting.  Negative #4: More Use of Technology with Less Physical Activity Leads to Obesity.  Well this one is pretty self explanatory. 

So how does this apply to us as graduate students and how do we make sure that we address these concerns?  Many of the graduate students come from the education profession and will interact with younger learners in their job.  For those that work in the instructional development for younger learners you must also take these issues into consideration when developing. I would hope that as adults we would be able to recognize these negative traits and overcome them on our own or try and avoid these but even adults fall victim.  Look at the new headings and watch a facebook forum and you will see that there are predators on adults also and that there is just as much adult bullying going online.

So how do we fight against these negative threats?  DeLoatch gives five recommendations for younger learners.

  • Monitor the use of technology.  
  • Teach responsible usage.
  • Be familiar with technology. 
  • Use classroom technology intentionally.  
  • Offer alternatives to technology.
 Technology is changing fast and we have to keep up with it.  Just like the web 2.0 class is introducing us to so many web 2.0 tools we must make sure to keep up with it after the course is over. I have even found sites that help you as a instructor to know whats the latest and greatest and how it is used or just keep you ears open and you will hear the discussion on a topic from some of these younger learners, then due your research. 



2 comments:

  1. I think we don't actually have to keep up with it all (I certainly don't) but rather (as you allude in the end) we need to know what and who to follow and to be confident and curious so we can dive in and learn new systems quickly, as needed. There are folks who focus strictly on the "what's new" of tech, and for them keeping up non-stop is important. The rest of us, however, are seeking applications to solve problems and create opportunities in very particular contexts, and so as long as we know how to keep our eyes, ears, and minds open we're in good shape.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that idea, keeping up with enough to solve the problem or create opportunities in a particular context. I know the first thing I thought of when I looked at the requirements for the class was how do I combine all of this for one easy read. When we started to explore the RSS feeds I though, great there is my answer. It seems anytime I think of an issue to tackle I can Google and find an application. I even found a yard application for my iPhone that tracks the weather in my area and tells me when I should water my grass based on the type of grass and what I have done with it so far like fertilizing, which also tells me when to do that.

    ReplyDelete