Friday, July 17, 2015

Exploring

I spent a lot of time exploring this week with various web 2.0 tools for my knowledge sharing assignment.  After creating my items for the knowledge sharing I posted on Pinterest, Diigo, scope.it, Slideshare and tweet about it all.  I liked the ability to pin easily with Pinterest but found it hard to share my information with other people unless they were following me.  I didn't like the idea thata I had to follow various topics as when I first open Pinterest I do not like to see a full clutter of suggested things.  What made it worst is that I chose fishing as one of my topics and every 5th suggestion seems to be a bikini clad girl with a fish.  I quickly stopped following that topic as I do not want my wife and daughter thinking I am pinning those type of items.  There might be a way to stop hide that specific suggestion but I have yet to find it.

I found Diigo a little hard to create a group and just share it with the public as you have to subscribe to more then just the free user plan. You are able to invite others but my goal with my board was to share it with all that might be interested. I can see how this would be great when working in small groups and you are able to invite them.  On the Scoop.it site I ran into similar issues as many of the extra functions required me to pay for it.  I had a lot of people that were interested in my material message me asking if they had to join to see it rather then try it out they prefer to skip it.  I found that slideshare gave the best all around analysis data and ease of sharing. More to come when I start to wrap my assignment up but in less then 24 hours I have had 1,045 viewers and over 20 different countries. Tracking this has been exciting to me and I have received a lot of emails  and messages through social media with questions or comments.  Check out my original blog post to get the links and check it out.


5 comments:

  1. Interesting that you got bikini babes with the fishing stuff. I never see that on Pinterest -- I just get suggestions related to food, holiday crafts, and ed tech :)

    What you're seeing with the other tools is an ever-increasing need to have some level of paid service -- they need to make a buck. I pay for some tools, not for others, based on whether or not they make a difference in my life. I think I probably shell out $300 for premium versions each year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was a little surprise also since my daughter gets on there and that made me more nervous. I can see paying that if I was using it professionally more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ron, are you posting your own material? or are you sharing other peoples material on slideshare. I found that slideshare was more for people who already had curated data and being able to post it rather than sharing/re-sharing slideshares from other people (and giving them credit obviously). What do you think? have you found a reshare button?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes my won material for half and then a slide show I created that did contain youtube videos from others. I contacted the administrators and they do not know why it was suspended, asked me reload it and now it is suspended again. It does have a share capability through different web 2.0 tools and also gives you a link that you can share.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I'm really excited to see what you come up with for your assignment! It seems like it's going to be an interesting one, just based on the amount of feedback and questions you have already received!

    ReplyDelete